So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Started Another Year.

When I posted my last entry, I was 30 years old.
As I type this entry, I am 31 years old.

My birthday falls on Thanksgiving every 5 years.  Otherwise, it tends to be the day before or after, but this year it was not until Sunday!  Due to the unusual situation, we did not celebrate my birthday on Thanksgiving.  For the first time in a very very long time, I ate pumpkin pie instead of birthday cake.

I like pumpkin pie.

Despite my old age, I decided that it would be cute to dress up like my three year old daughter.  I think we sorta maybe pulled it off as a team, but only due to her charm and skeptical willingness.

At bedtime, I noticed Hayden shivering.  In true mom-style, I checked his forehead. Sure enough, his skin was burning.

He spent the next 3 days sipping children's Advil, sleeping, and developing a weird body odor.

I hated to see him sick but it did give me the opportunity to spend some quality time with Brenna.  We went out for breakfast.  We went shopping.  We went out for ice cream.

We eat ice cream very often, however, we do so as a team.

I like this because it makes us practice sharing.  And patience.

But since it was just the two of us, I ordered us each our own cone.

I think it rocked her little world to have that much ice cream promised to only her tongue.

By the time my birthday rolled around, Hayden was showing signs of his non-sick self but the rest of us were not feeling up to par.   Every year, I run on my birthday though.  And this year was not going to be an exception.

I met my running club at 7am for 13 miles at a brisk 7:26 average - I felt pretty good.  But then I got home, showered, and collapsed on the bed.  I no longer felt so good.

But this is the glorious thing about your birthday - you don't have to get out of bed! 
I rolled over, turned on the TV and watched Project Runway.
And then another episode of Project Runway.
And then I watched some other guilty pleasures shows that I won't even mention.

Earlier that week, David asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday and I told him, "Nothing."  I sincerely meant it.  And "nothing" is exactly what I did.  It was perfect.

I ended the day with a delicious dinner, two cucumber margaritas, and 2 humongous hugs.

I think I am ready for 31.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog, and I LOVE IT! I also have twins, and I stopped running after I found out I was pregnant with them (for a variety of reasons). I've started to slowly get back into running again, and I love seeing another twin mom running with her kids in the stroller. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete