So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

5k Summer Series, #4

This was a PR for me! Only by a few seconds, however I set my previous PR before I had kids. This means I am officially faster than I was pre-twins.

I snagged another first place in my age group, but my competition stepped it up a notch - I think its going to be a real race for the next one.

You never expect to PR in the middle of July when you live in Arizona. Not only is it hot, but it tends to be humid, thanks to the monsoons. However, we had a monsoon last week and this week it dried up. Although warm, it was lovely weather. I knew the night before that this was going to be a very fast race.

And it was - the gun shot and everyone literally flew off the start line. My first mile was fast, 6:20, but it didn't kill me.
Photobucket
I went into mile two feeling in control. I missed the mile marker for mile 2 so I didnt not lap until 2.1...6:59 (aka 6:23 pace). At this point, I am on target for a sub-20.
Photobucket
I did not specifically train to run this fast so I did start to feel tired. But I told myself I only had one more mile and I clung on as much as I could. My last mile was in 6:36.

Now here is the thing - the race did not end, there was an extra .05. OK, so in the real world, .05 is nothing. I probably walk that distance just to get from the couch to the bathroom. But in this case, it was an extra 10 seconds.

My Garmin, which is God, says I ran a 6:26 pace.
6:26 for exactly 3.1 = 19:59.

OK, I know I am splitting hairs but I have been trying to break 20 minutes for pretty much my adult life. It's a tad frustrating to come so close!

I would make this goal for my next race, but it's
1) in the middle of August. it will be super hot.
2) at South Mountain. it will be super hilly.

So this particular goal is going to have to sit on the back burner for now.

When I got home, my kids did not understand that I ran without them. They jumped in their jogging stroller, ready to go.
Photobucket

But no, I am not hardcore enough to run again, so we went to the mall so that I could get my eyebrows threaded. Now I have pretty eyebrows, which will last for about a week (and then I will pluck them and mess them up).
Photobucket

The kids played at the play area. The key of taking toddlers to the play area is to go early, before all the big kids come.

Brenna
Photobucket

Hayden
Photobucket

and a really unique photo of them playing in the same area!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment