So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Tempe International Triathlon Race Report

This race holds a special place in my heart because it was my first triathlon EVER.
The year was 2006 and I was 24 years old.


I rode my mother's mountain bike.










We all have to start somewhere, right?

I took a hiatus pretty early on after my claim to triathlonism:
- 2007 I trained for the Portland marathon
- 2008 I had a stress fracture in my foot and got pregnant
- 2009 I was pregnant and had kids
- 2010 I had young babies

It really is amazing how quickly time passes us.
And I was looking forward to beating my impish and impetuous former little self.

Here are the numbers:

Swim:  2006 - 9:49
            2012 - 9:26
Um....really?  I am only 23 seconds faster than my first open-water swim ever??  This makes me believe the swim course was long.   That would explain why I was so tired.
I kept thinking, Damn, this is a long 400 meters!
Photobucket

Photobucket

T1:  2006 - 2:02
       2012 - 1:08
This is my best bike-to-run transition ever.  Still slow, but incredibly smooth.  


Bike:  2006 - 41:11 (18.1mph)
          2012 - 33:49 (22.1mph)
I have to say, I am sorta impressed that I managed to do 18mph on a mountain bike - I am not sure I could do that today.  I am satisfied with my bike pace, but I loathe this course - too many u-turns!


T2:  2006 - 1:41
       2012 - 1:03 
Another PR in the transition area - still about 10 seconds too slow.



Run:  2006 - 23:57
         2012 - 20:26
I am going to say the run course was long as well.
I came off the bike and began running.  Almost immediately, there was a woman at my side.  We ran alongside each other for a few minutes - the pace was fast.  Since I didn't race the race last weekend, I decided I push it so I picked up the pace.  Once you make a move like this, it becomes a commitment.  My goal for the run was to stay ahead of her...which I did.  I am positive I was running faster than a 6:30 pace.

Someone told me their Garmin measured the course at 3.24, which would make my time more reasonable.

Even though I did beat that (very nice) woman on the run, she started a wave behind me she beat me overall - and rightfully so!

End Result:  2006 - 1:18:36, 31st woman
                   2012 - 1:05:58, 2nd woman 
Photobucket

I do think its fun to look back but now I am stuck looking forward and I ask myself, Now what?
As much as it bores me, I think I need to re-build my base.
And maybe work on swimming. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment