So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Xterra White Tanks Race Report


The year hasn't started off with anything more notable than a horrible head cold, however the first blog post of the year will be that of the best kind – a race report.

One of my favorite things about my little side job is that I get to run all the Xterra races.  But, since I do have to work, I am limited to only the short courses (8K).  I am not complaining – I love a short course.  By the time you get tired, you are all almost done.  For example, yesterday I got tired at Mile 3.  But by then, I had less than two miles left. 

The more experienced runners opt for the longer courses so the short courses are often pretty easy to win.   But, there are always people I do not know on the start line, and some of them look fast.  And, some of them are fast!   You never know who is going to show up on race day.  Even when I have a good lead, I am sure that there is someone behind me who is running a faster race and will smoke me at the finish.  And one day – it’s going to happen. 

That day was not yesterday though as I earned myself another Xterra beer mug by 3 minutes, 40 seconds.  It wasn't a top performance, though.  I only averaged 6:50 (which is fast for a trail run but this trail was not difficult).  But 6:50 is faster than I have been running, thanks to my cold.  Lately it feels like my legs are weighted down with bricks and that I spend more time blowing misguided snot-rockets on myself than I do moving.

I've been relatively good at resting and I think I am on the end of the recovery.  But I don’t feel like I am ready to add anything to my agenda – at least not for myself.

Every time I arrive home with a new medal, Brenna likes to wear it.  They are big and shiny so of course Hayden demands to wear one as well. They like medals.


They also like television.  
If they had their way, they would watch My Little Pony for hours on end.  As a parent, it is hard to say no because TV is such an easy activity!  But it’s lazy.

The other day I took the kids to the park.  We looked at ducks, ate a picnic lunch and played on the playground. The problem with the playground is the kids just want to sit in swings.  They refuse to pump and demand to be pushed.  This is not exercise.

So, I suggested a little walk.  The kids looked at me like I was crazy. 
After I stopped pushing them, they dangled for a bit.  They got bored.  They agreed to walk.

Hayden immediately dashed down the sidewalk.

Brenna wasn't going to give me satisfaction so easily.  She took the smallest steps that she could possibly step.

 Eventually we made it a half mile or so and back to the car. The kids were exhausted.  It made me realize that they are ready for  need another race.   

January 27th.  100 Meters.  
At the very least, exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment