So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Friday, September 9, 2011

We Survived!

So this week my mother (aka "G-Ma-Garden") took a vacation.

No big deal, David and I can handle the kids are own for a week. We shuffled our work schedules to make it happen.

Then David got invited on an impromptu business trip. No big deal, I am a big girl - I can handle the kids by myself for two days.

And then I woke up on Day #1.

Sick.

And not, ugh, my head hurts a little sick, but oh my goodness I need to lay down right this second in a tiny ball sick.

I had to make the kids' breakfasts doing intervals:
- Slice strawberries
Recover on couch
- Peel bananas
Recover on couch
- Halve grapes
Recover on couch

But as always, the kids and I are a functioning team and I think they sensed that I was a weak player so they stepped up their game. They played independently for most of the day while I camped out on the couch. They took breaks from their playing to eat cheerios and watch Nick Jr.

I think the important thing to note here is that they did fight. Or whine. Or throw books at my face.

My kids are awesome.

I woke up on Day #2 feeling much better.
A bit weak, but eager to shower and give the kids a day that they deserved.

So we went to this place called Imagination Avenue.
My mother takes them there frequently - except she calls it The Imaginarium. And it really makes no sense to re-name something if you are going to use the name number of syllabuls anyway.

This place is basically a large room, with a bunch of play areas:
Photobucket

I was under the impression that you had to wear socks.
This turned out not to be true, but that is irrelevant to the story.

I dress the kids and attempt to put on socks. They have been wearing their beloved sandles for months on end - they did not want to wear socks. They screamed when I put the socks on their feet.

Luckily, I have an odd habit of going to consignment stores, buying and hoarding shoes. So, I was able to bust out some new, cool sneakers for them to wear over their socks. They liked this.
Photobucket

However this turned out to be a problem once we got to Imagination Ave (or The Imaginarium) and we had to take off the shoes.

Hayden was adaptable, as usual.
Brenna was pissed.
Photobucket

Please, dont feel *too* sorry for her. She is at this awesome play place!

We start playing.

Hayden pretends to be school teacher:
Photobucket

And then he pretends to be a doctor:
Photobucket

Meanwhile, Brenna screamed:
Photobucket

Hayden then did some grocery shopping:
Photobucket

Played with a train:
Photobucket

And built stuff with blocks:
Photobucket

Meanwhile:
Photobucket

Eventually I collapsed on a bench because chasing Hayden around, while dragging my screaming Brenna, was exhausting.

In my absense, Brenna realized that I was no longer paying attention to her. She stopped screaming, toddled away and started to play.

Although it got off to a rough start, I label this outing a success!
Photobucket

Brenna's favorite part was probably the end because she got to put her shoes back on.

David has safetly returned from his business trip and my mother is returning in a few days. I cannot wait to get back to our normal schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment