So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Friday, February 24, 2012

And So It Continues, Part 2

In case you missed it:  Part One.
Don't worry, there is no high-pitched screaming induced video embedded at the end of this post.

That is not to say that my ears are free from such havoc, unfortunately the battle of getting dressed is something that we still face.  It is getting better, I cannot overlook the fact that sometimes we have peaceful and pleasant mornings.  But alas, every minute of peace equals a minute of pandemonium yet to come.

The problem with the process is that there are so many components involved.  If the challenge was simply to get Brenna to wear a shirt every day, or perhaps shoes, then that would be a piece of cake.   But shirts AND shoes AND socks AND bottoms?  Now we are asking for a lot.

I read that it is very common for toddlers to like to have control.
I find this to be especially true with Brenna.  If I pick out her outfit, she will despise it simply for the fact that I chose it for her.   So, most of the time I encourage her to pick out her own outfit.  I will often provide options. 
Sometimes they are acceptable.
Sometimes they are not.

Here are some of Brenna's recent choices.

She was very excited when she found these gloves in her sock drawer. However, she did not want to detract from them by wearing anything else.
Photobucket

At Costco, she fell in love with a tu-tu skort. I put it in our cart to purchase but that was not good enough. She had to wear it immediately, over her pants.
Photobucket

And then there was the pajamas with gold gladiator sandles.
Photobucket

And perhaps my favorite, the dress and the tu-tu combination:
Photobucket

Although unflattering, at least that covered all body parts.
I allowed her to wear it all day. 
In public.

Yesterday she picked out her shirt and her shoes but denied pants.
Photobucket
(I later convinced her to supplement the look with a tu-tu).

I do feel like we making progress.
Perhaps its two steps forward and one step back, but we are going in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. Love the gloves ... I understand that look completely.

    ReplyDelete