So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Putting on the Shoes

Ever since Brenna could walk, she has been interested in her shoes.
I totally understand, who does not loves shoes?

Every day, she demands to select her own shoes. We keep the shoes on top of the play kitchen (I have no idea why). She pulls up a small chair when she wants to wear shoes. It does not matter if we not going anywhere.

It also does not matter if she is not dressed.
Photobucket

And nor does it matter if they are practical.
Photobucket

Putting on shoes is not an easy feat for a 2-year old (pun intended). She has the best luck with sandals, especially Hayden's since they are too large. Unfortunately, this means her shoes rarely match her outfit. We tried to compensate for this by painting her nails.  These feet look cute in any shoes!
Photobucket

And I may have gotten carried away and painted some extra feet:
Photobucket

With determination, she tries every day.
And although there are still some struggles,
Photobucket

she does eventually get it.
Photobucket

This made me realize that I also need to practice putting on my shoes.
If I only practice this at races, its going to take years to master the transition area.

The other day, as we were getting ready to leave my mother's house, Brenna had trouble sliding her foot in her shoe and my mother suggested a solution to her that perked my eavesdropping ears: baby powder.

If baby powder helps Brenna slide her foot into a shoe, maybe it can help me slide my foot shoe.

So my final duathlon workout focused on shoes. I set up a transition area by my front door, with my bike and running shoes laid out. And then I smothered them in baby powder.
It worked like a charm!  My foot slid and out of each shoe effortlessly.
 Here was the workout:
* 20 min bike ride to warm up. Practiced loosening my shoes while still on the bike.
* slipped off bike shoes, slipped on running shoes
* 800 (2:41 - which is a 5:25 pace, I must have been in a rush!) + .15 sprint
* slipped off running shoes, slipped on bike shoes
* 12 min bike ride. Again, practiced loosening my shoes while still on the bike.
* 1200 (4:15) + .15 sprint
* slipped off running shoes, slipped on bike shoes
* 12 min on bike. Again, practiced loosening my shoes while still on the bike.
* 800 (2:52) + .15 sprint
* slipped off running shoes, slipped on bike shoes
* slipped off bike shoes, slipped on running shoes, slipped off bike shoes, slipped on running shoes, slipped off bike shoes, slipped on running shoes...... etc etc.

PEOPLE PRACTICE THIS STUFF!

Duh, right?

This single workout isn't going to be enough to result in a perfect transition, but I do think I will be able to get my foot in my shoe this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment