So be sure when you step. You step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Far from where I want to be

I am about 375 miles away from where I want to be.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I should be in California right now. I should be running on the beach, swimming in the ocean, making out with my husband in the sand and sipping on a mid-day cocktail.

Instead, I am on my couch.
Watching Food Network.
My husband is napping next to me on the couch.

Unfortunately there was some family health issues that forced us to stay at home.

I cant say that I handled it like a mature adult.
I whimpered. OK, I cried.

OK...OK....I sobbed.

It wasn't really so much about being in California (although that part was pretty cool), it was more about getting a break.

Being a parent can be daunting; sometimes a simple trip to the grocery store leaves me more exhausted than a 15 mile run. Especially with Brenna.

I guess she takes after me because she is very emotional and complex. And since she doesn't talk, I never know what she wants. I offer her food, water, her blanket. I change her diaper. I put on her shoes. I take her shoes off. I pick her up. I put her down. I pick her up again.

95% of the time doing all that fixes NOTHING.

And, to make it even more dramatic, she will run into a room and slam the door. I wasn't expecting this until the teenage years.
Photobucket

Brenna can only slam doors, not open them. So after she slams the door, she is stuck. This only makes her more upset.
Photobucket

At this point, I usually let out a long, audible sigh.
Because I know what is awaiting me behind that door.
Photobucket

Please note that there are no tears running down this child's face.
Photobucket

And what does Hayden do during these dramatic moments?
He chills. Just like his Dad, he is the epitome of simplicity and calmness.
Photobucket

And yes, those are underwear!
Photobucket

But no, he is not potty trained. They were on the Clearance rack for 99-cents and undeniably cute. I could not resist.

Anyway, I always try to look for a positive: one positive thing about not going to California is that I was able to run with my running friends. We met at 5am and ran 10 miles. It felt good to be back - and it felt even better that I ran all 10 miles without ANY tightness Whatsoever!

Folks, I am healed.

This pleases me immensly, however in my two week hiatus I managed to lose a lot of speed. I feel very far away from where I want to be for the Womens Half Marathon in Novemeber. I have a lot of work to do.

And of course - I will be documenting it all here.

Until then, I leave you with this. Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. just a hug. no ability to understand on my behalf, but i can offer that much.

    ReplyDelete